Car Type not found.
Car Type not found.


I Am New To Canada, Am I Eligible?

We'd love to help you get started with your life in Canada! See below for our requirements

Welcome to Canada! For you to explore Canada better with a flexible vehicle option, we'd love to have you get started in Roam's long-term rental subscription service!

Can I apply?

Here is Roam's main requirements to drive a vehicle:

  • Minimum age of 23
  • Valid Ontario G license
  • 1 year driving history with another insurance provider
  • No major criminal convictions or moving violations and no more than 1 at-fault accident in the past 3 years

You do not need to be a Canadian citizen! You can read more on the specifics of our driver requirements here.

What licenses do you accept?

At this time, our insurance provider is only accepting valid Ontario G licenses.

Do you accept International Driver's license?

At this time our insurance provider is only accepting Ontario G licenses and is not accepting the International Driver's license.

How do I get an Ontario G license?

Depending on the country of your original license and how long you've had your license, you might be able to do a complete switch or fast-track. Some countries have different laws and customs regarding driving. It's essential to know the differences and feel comfortable driving in a new country, which is why some countries have an agreement and some do not.

If you've had your license for more than two years and your license is from the following countries, You can apply to get your Ontario driver's license:

  • Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Japan, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Republic of Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United States.

These countries have an agreement with Canada that allows you to make the complete switch after an eye test. However, if you've only had your license for less than two years, you must take the final G road test.

Otherwise, if your license is from somewhere else, you will have to start somewhere on Ontario's graduated licensing system, depending on your years of driving experience.

If you've had more than two years of experience, you can take the G1 test, the eye test, then book for your full G driving test to gain your license.

If you've had less than two years of driving experience, then you essentially start from the beginning. You need to take the eye test, the written knowledge G1 test, the G2 driving test and the complete G driving test. The only difference is that you can take the G2 test immediately. However, you may need to wait a year before taking your G driving test. The waiting period can change depending on how long you've had your original license. For example, if you've had your original license for six months, you can take the G driving test after six months instead of the entire year. If you have any questions about how long you need to wait, bring your license and paperwork and discuss the specifics at a ServiceOntario Centre or a DriveTest centre.

Apply in person at a DriveTest centre or eligible Service Ontario location. Bring your original valid foreign license and the accepted identity documents showing your legal name, date of birth and signature. You should also bring any supporting documents demonstrating proof of your driving experience. Applicants who fulfill these requirements can obtain a G1 licence.

Disclaimer: Roam is not affiliated with or endorsed by any automaker in any way. All product names, trademarks, and trade names are the property of their respective owners.

Disclaimer: Roam is not affiliated with or endorsed by any automaker in any way. All product names, trademarks, and trade names are the property of their respective owners.

Canadian Flag IconProudly Canadian